Workshop: Route 66 Out West
May 1, 2020 - May 4, 2020
Photograph the classic Route 66 road trip through western Arizona. Explore the wide-open spaces, neon signs, golden sunsets and chrome-laden Americana as we photograph these vestiges on the longest intact stretch of the original Mother Road.
Overview of Itinerary
Each year in May, the historic Route 66 is celebrated with the Arizona Fun Run, a gathering of fab-50s cars along this stretch – this celebration will be our thread.
Our journey begins in historic Flagstaff with neon-lit 50s-style diners and classic cowboy honky tonks. We then head west to Seligman, where the nostalgic Mother Road comes fully alive during the annual Fun Run. Here we will capture the parade of vintage Bel Airs, Corvettes, pick-up trucks and hot rods in front of an authentic diner and sundries store with an original soda fountain. Our rockabilly/pin-up models will enliven these nostalgic scenes. We will also shoot an abandoned and overgrown section of the old Route 66, as well as a series of roadside Burma Shave signs near Seligman.
Further stops along the road include several abandoned and restored gas stations, weathered neon signs, sweeping landscapes along the two-lane highway and rusty old cars by the roadside. Our final chapter includes a photo shoot in the mountainous old mining town of Oatman, a true inspiration for any Western movie.
This workshop leads us along historic Route 66 from Flagstaff to Oatman via Williams, Seligman and Kingman, and we reserve time along the way for photo reviews and classroom instruction in Lightroom and Photoshop. We will guide you in the creation of a personal photography book to showcase your best work. After our four days on Route 66 Out West, you will come home with stunning images and a better understanding of storytelling in your photography.
Limited to 8 participants
- Price: Your payment covers transportation in two luxury SUVs from Flagstaff, hotel accommodations, and photography instruction throughout the workshop.
- Accommodations: All rooms are shared and include two queen beds. For a single-occupancy room add $375.
- Meals: All meals are the responsibility of the participant.
- Cancellations: We suggest that you purchase travel insurance to cover trip cancellation. Payment is only refundable from us under the conditions that the spot can be filled.
- Flagstaff Accommodations: Your first night, May 1, is included in your payment. The final night, May 4, is the responsibility of the participant.
- Full payment: Due by March 1, 2020.
Please use the registration form to sign up. Deposit payment can be made on the registration form with PayPal or you can send a personal check via US Mail. Deposit of $600 is required to reserve your spot.
Use the contact form to send an email to us with questions and to request additional information.
Larry Lindahl has photographed the American Southwest for over 25 years, has published several award-winning books on the region and has appeared on the cover of notable national and international magazines. His work appears in Arizona Highways, Outdoor Photographer, Backpacker, and Condé Nast Traveller. Larry is based in Sedona, his home for over 25 years.
His award-winning books include:
- Arizona Kicks on Route 66
- New Mexico Kicks on Route 66
- Four Corners USA: Wonders of the American Southwest
- Ancient Southwest: A Guide to Archaeological Sites
- Secret Sedona: Sacred Moments in the Landscape
Nina Rehfeld, assistant instructor, has worked with him for more than ten years on a wide variety of international travel magazine stories, including Route 66 in Arizona, Monument Valley, Slot Canyons, Ancient Indian Ruins, Traditional Native American Culture, Colorado River Trips, Lake Powell, and more. She has also partnered with him on various Grand Canyon and Sedona photography workshops. Nina also lives in Sedona.
Both instructors are certified Wilderness First Responders (WFR).